The Pack Page

Friday Nights

A story about my mom and her alcohol problem and she overcame it.

Angela+and+her+family+on+vacation+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Friday Nights

Angela and her family on vacation

Angela and her family on vacation

Puerto rican Photographer

Angela and her family on vacation

Puerto rican Photographer

Puerto rican Photographer

Angela and her family on vacation

Mia Moore, Reporter

Friday Nights.

After a long stressful day for 38-year-old Angela, she stops at the local Kroger in the alcohol section, standing on the tip top of her toes as she reaches to grab a box Chardonnay. She returns home to her family, who waited to hear the door rattle and creak open to see their petite, beautiful mother and wife.

She walks in, sets down her monogram speedy Louis Vuitton purse along with her box of wine and heads straight to the cabinet to grab a glass off the rack. The red wine fills three-fourths of the glass. Outside by the pool she slowly sips, refilling her cup every few sips. Everyone in the house stays in their room, waiting to see what their beloved mother and wife would do next. She would get comfortable in her blue, oversized doctor scrubs, and slowly absorbed a box of wine by 10:30 p.m. without a care in the world. This was the night we never thought we would witness: our mom snap what little sobriety she had left.

This night she had been so drunk, she got into a fight with her oldest daughter and threw her laptop, and completely shattered the computer screen. Everyone was scared and shocked and knew their mother had an addiction. Living with a mom who was an alcoholic who didn’t know how to stop drinking is not easy for some children. We never knew what was next, but we were used to expecting the unexpected. As a 10-year-old watching your mom’s hazel bright eyes turn a bloodshot red was the scary part. Hearing your mom and sister constantly bicker was not a home you would want to grow up in for eight more years.

“I have an addictive personality and alcoholism is hereditary in my family,” said Angela. When your mom has an addictive personality and being an alcoholic is hereditary there’s nothing much she can control while she’s drunk. Whenever we thought there was no hope left for our mom’s drinking problem, she surprised her whole family. Angela decided she needed to stop drinking. 

“I decided to become sober when I realized that it was affecting my children and my husband,”  Angela said. She said she realized that this was not a good environment for her children to grow up in and never wanted her children to think drinking or drugs were OK.

Becoming sober is not an easy process, Angela said.

“It was difficult because I had to separate myself from people in my family who drank alcohol. That was probably the hardest thing I could have ever done because I had drunk with these people all my life,” said Angela.

Angela realized that she needed to become closer with God and her family and alcohol distracted her from that.

Every Sunday, Angela goes to church, prays every night. Becoming sober was something she decided she was ready to do on her own. 

“I focus my attention on God first and my family second,” Angela said. After four years of not drinking, Angela has not taken one sip of alcohol and plans to stay focused on what’s important to her: family.