The Pack Page

Say Cheese!

French Club Tastes New Flavors Across the Pond

"Block of Brie being prepared for cutting"

Photo by Amariah Nielsen

Photo by Amariah Nielsen

Amariah Nielsen, Reporter

The air tastes strongly of the tangy aroma of cheese on display in the front of the classroom. Ceramic plates of soft Brie cheese, sharp Roquefort, roasted-nut Comte, fruity Gruyere, and the ever so salty Tomme de Chevre decorate a space most often filled with textbooks and pencils. Off to the side, a bowl of fruit and platter of thin bread slices draw the attention of students who aren’t as eager to try the array of foreign cheese.

Other French Club students mix and mingle, helping themselves to delicately cut cubes of sweet-scented cheeses. Freshman Joseph Burr experiments, combining cheeses together to create new, uncharted flavors.

The dozen or so members of the club gathered Oct. 16 for its monthly meeting to discuss upcoming events, and most importantly, eat cheese.

“My favorite is definitely blue cheese,” Burr says, fixing himself another sliver of Roquefort, a cheese several students avoided due to the intense, nuance flavor.

French teacher and club sponsor Ellen Shaunessy watches, puffed out like a proud mother bird, as her students get a taste of Frenchion culture.

“Learning about cultural similarities & differences also allows students to understand where people’s ideas and perspectives come from. This helps make connections between language and culture.” Shaunessy said.

Cami Boyack, the club’s vice president, played a role in making sure everything went smoothly from researching the different cheeses to figuring out where they could buy them.

“We had an officers meeting, and we discussed what needs to happen, what assignments needed to be made… [to] be sure everything was ready,” Boyack said.

Several weeks of careful preparation, planning and exact execution led up up to Tuesday’s cheese tasting. As the evening drew to a close, the officers begin planning future events, such as the white elephant gift exchange and yearly competitive crepes-making contes