The Pack Page

A New Voice

Heritage Choir students reflect on change in music teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Voice

"Mr. Alarcon is a rad dude and can fill the gaping hole Mr. Worthen left in all our hearts." (Ian Richmond, 10)

Cami Boyack

Cami Boyack

Cami Boyack

Cami Boyack

The first six weeks can always be new and challenging, but the choir students faced an interesting situation this school year. Riley Worthen, who had led the choir for the last three years, recently stepped down to attend Brigham Young University (BYU); making way for Mr. Alarcon as the newest member of Heritage Choir.

“A change in teachers is a tough transition for an arts program,” Sophomore Paige Rigby said. “It means completely different concerts, songs choices and teaching style. But [the school] did a good job in selecting the right candidate.”

Many were close with Mr. Worthen, and they say he was an integral in the success of the department. Some were skeptical at first about the new teacher, but fears diminished when the students got to know Daniel Alarcon.

“We all miss [Mr.] Worthen, he put so much into the choir program”, Senior Jonathan Cardon said. “I think [Mr. Alarcon’s] done a fantastic job, he’s very personable and looks out for his students.”

Despite worries about the differences between the two, the students saw through Mr. Alarcon’s hard work this year that he was the right one for the job.

“I like his commitment,” Junior Hinckley Petrailia said. “One thing I was scared about with the teacher change is that we wouldn’t get someone with the same commitment not only to the choir, but also to each individual member, and I feel like he’s doing just that. Like Worthen, he isn’t afraid to push the edge and limits that everyone thinks a high school choir would have.”

A lot of students pursuing music last year signed up for classes because Mr. Worthen was the teacher, but those plans were disrupted when he announced his leave.

“At first I took it really hard,” Hinckley said. “I was secretly dreading the school year all summer, but when I started to sing with Mr. Alarcon, I realized there was a lot I could learn from him.”

All in all, the choir has had a good experience with their new teacher and looks to a bright school year.
“Changing directors is always hard, just because you get to spend so much time with them and develop a close relationship,” Jonathan said. “But Mr. Alarcon has stepped up to the job.”