The Pack Page

Before Curtains Open

Students prepare set for first production.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Before Curtains Open

To begin the building process, junior Hinckley Petralia makes the first wall of the set.

Michelle Robinson

Michelle Robinson

Michelle Robinson

Jasmin Du, Reporter

To start getting ready for their new production, The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940, Technical Theater begins the process of making the new set.

After the announcement of the play, the technical theater students started doing extended research to find out why it was written, where and when it takes place.

“This is the most important job for a designer,” Technical Theater Teacher Michelle Robinson said. “That’s where the creativity can run wild.”

Two weeks before school started, junior Hinckley Petralia and senior Boston Gage began the process of laying out the set for the production.

We don’t just start building things,” Hinckley said. “We start by taking measurements and 3D renderings.”

Once the walls are up, the process still isn’t over. Technical theater students build different parts individually and assemble them at the end. But, this causes conflict when trying to unite everything due to some parts not matching up perfectly. Technical theater is constantly changing the way the scenery looks to make their sets look as professional as possible.

When showtime arrives, the curtains open. The first thing that is shown is an empty set.  

“You know you did your job right if you hear a gasp go through the crowd,” Hinckley said.

Because these group of students work behind the scenes, a simple “thank you” is a shock to them.

People will see the mistake, but they won’t see the hard work that goes into it,” senior Aqsa Khan said.

The Technical Theater student’s work is often looked passed upon as they are not as well known as the actors.

“Without lights, you’re not going to have anyone to see you. Without a set, you won’t make it super believable,” junior Angelle Samaniego said. “Without tech, you don’t have theater.”