The Pack Page

Back to Backpacks

Heritage Safety policy allows for students to bring backpacks to school once again

“But the more we thought about it, the more we thought we probably need to look at creating better relationships with our students and paying more or closer attention to their social and emotional needs.” Principal Mark Mimms said.

Tanner Stanley

Tanner Stanley

Shannon-Renee Odoi, Reporter

Despite school shootings over the past several months, Heritage administration has welcomed back backpacks into the hallways.

“The initial reaction we were going to have was to have no bags at all because we thought that was a part of safety and security,” Principal Mark Mimms said. “But the more we thought about it, the more we thought we probably need to look at creating better relationships with our students and paying more or closer attention to their social and emotional needs.”

Mr. Mimms, who took part making this decision, makes safety his first priority to the students of Heritage. “In light of what’s going on in the country,” Mr. Mimms said. “There is a heightened sense of what is being done at the schools to keep students safe.”

Although backpacks have been searched in the past, the faculty are currently not allowed to do backpack checks. Frisco ISD is trying different methods of protection among the schools. At Independence High School, students are required to wear identification badges at all times.

“The district is trying different things at different schools,” Mr. Mimms said. “We are seeing what works and is most effective. That’s what we are trying to implement district wide.”

Students claim to be happy upon the return of backpacks in schools. Safety will continue to be a first and top priority around school.

“We wanted something in place for the start of school,” Mr. Mimms said. “But safety and security is an ever evolving thing, and as new things are learned we are going to implement them into the classroom.”

About the Writer
Shannon-Renee Odoi, Reporter

When everyone's walking right, Shannon-Renee is make a left turn because she's curious about what everyone isn't seeing. Writer, hipster, Netflix fanatic....