The Pack Page

Filed under News, Showcase, Sports

Behind the bases: How senior softball players support their team

Allicyn+Harris%2C+Pate+Cathey+and+Maddie+Watson+motivate+their+younger+teammates+in+one+of+their+final+games+before+graduation.+
Allicyn Harris, Pate Cathey and Maddie Watson motivate their younger teammates in one of their final games before graduation.

Lonna Larsen

Lonna Larsen

Heritage High School’s varsity softball team has only three seniors. Throughout this season, they are having to learn how to support and encourage their other teammates.

“I definitely look up to all the seniors, just because knowing them over time, I’ve seen them grow so much,” junior Nari Sherman said.

Seniors Maddie Watson, Pate Cathey and Allicyn Harris act as role models to the underclassmen.

“We’re always really positive with each other and when someone’s having a bad day, we bring each other up,” senior Maddie Watson said.

“They’ve accomplished so many things; they all committed to a school,” Sherman said. “So, I want to be like them.”

“Maddie’s going to SAGU (Southwestern Assemblies of God University), Allie’s going to Fort Hays, and Pate’s going to UTEP (University of Texas at El Paso),” varsity coach Timothy O’Brien said.

While they might be graduating soon, they all currently contribute something different to their team.

“I think I bring a lot of energy and encouragement and confidence. I just try and be a leader on and off the field,” Cathey said.

“I’m like the mom of the team, I take care of everyone,” senior Maddie Watson said.

“I think I bring a positive attitude and I work hard,” senior Allicyn Harris said.

Each of these traits have helped the team be successful during their games. They beat Centennial High School 7-3 in their last game of the regular season, which got them a spot in the district playoffs for the first time in school history. The players attribute their successes to the loving and tight bond they have.

“My team’s greatest strength is that we’re a family,” Sherman said. “We always look out for each other, we always want to see each other do great, even when they’re down, we find a way to pull that person up and feel better about themselves and feel like they have a family outside of their home.”

About the Writer
Ashton Eades, Reporter

Ashton has a burning desire to be pushed out of her comfort zone and better her broadcasting and people skills. One of her goals for her third year with...

1 Comment

One Response to “Behind the bases: How senior softball players support their team”

1. Ruth on April 25th, 2018 6:42 pm

Couldn’t be prouder…of the team OR the reporter! Great job, Ashton Eades. Go, girls!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• News

Top Dogs

• Behind the bases: How senior softball players support their team

News

Run With the Wind

News

Say Cheese!

News

New Face Of Heritage

News

Up in Flames

News

Cut The Check

News

All-Region Auditions Upon Orchestra

News

Fresh Start

News

Back to Backpacks

News

Protective Policies

The student news site of Heritage High School in Frisco, Texas