The Pack Page

There is more to you than just your body

Picture of social media icons

Picture of social media icons

Kaitlin Valene

Kaitlin Valene

Picture of social media icons

Many things happen to bother me here and there, but this one is the one that irks me the most. Girls who post revealing pictures of themselves all over social media.

Scrolling through your Twitter feed, Instagram, or Snapchat, and then a picture of some girl you know who is practically half naked, or barely even clothed.

You know the type.

A teenage girl, posting a picture of them in a mirror sitting down on their bed, sucking their stomach in possibly as much as they can, pushing their breast out as much as possible, in a pair of the shortest shorts and a sports bra. But that is what I don’t understand.

How can a girl feel completely comfortable letting a picture like that to be seen? I am barely comfortable walking outside of my house in a pair of Hollister jean shorts, but why did they do it? For what? Likes? Retweets? Comments? A thirst trap? Get people talking about them? For guys’ attention? What is their reasoning behind that?

Some of my friends post pictures these pictures, and they it is because they look forward to reading the comments that guys post on their picture, they say it makes them feel better about themselves, also they tend to post pictures like this to show others how much self love they have for themselves, but it is showing the lack of respect they have for themselves, rather for love.

As I was growing up, my mother always told me how important it is to be classy and modest, rather than trashy and respectless. And I have certainly listened to everything she said. I have never been able to post a picture like this, and it is not because I love myself so much, it’s because I don’t need someone to comment on my picture to make me feel better about myself.

Girls don’t think about it though, or even the consequences.

I know plenty of guys who screenshot those revealing pictures they see of girls, and share them into a group chat with around 20 guys. And those guys will talk about that one picture, but that’s what the girls want. They want someone to talk about them and appreciate them for the wrong reasons.

Plenty of guys these days do not care about who you are, they’re more concerned about how far you will go. Girls who post revealing pictures give off the vibe that they will do anything with anyone, and guys take advantage of that. Many guys in this generation just want one thing.

Nothing you post on the internet will ever be gone, people screenshot what you post, and colleges are also able to access things, no matter if they are erased or not.

Girls need to think more of what they’re posting and how it can actually harm their future, and think less of the attention they will gain from posting revealing pictures.

The real problem with this issue is that girls feel the need to post pictures like this in order to find their self worth, but they aren’t validated to do this. They just feel like they are.

A solution to this is girls should post more of their achievements rather than their body like good grades they get, them getting their license, getting a car, getting new makeup, and getting a job. Girls will be surprised when as soon as they stop posting revealing photos, the people who really care about them are still there, and the people who only followed them to see to their body aren’t.