The student news site of Heritage High School in Frisco, Texas

The Pack Page

Filed under Sports

Varsity Volleyball Improves Through Teamwork

Junior Skylar Wilson (right) joins her teammates on the varsity volleyball team in celebrating each others hard work during practice. All of their practice contributed to their improvements over this fall season.

This fall season, the varsity volleyball team used one thing to ensure that they achieve success: teamwork.

“This is a much stronger team as a whole, and they really do work hard to make each other better and to do what’s best for the team,” Volleyball Coach Jenny Anderson said.

The players cooperate in a way that benefits both themselves and the team.

I feel like we’re better this year. Last year was more of individual playing and we didn’t work together as a team. But this year we grew, our chemistry grew and that made us better,” junior Dayton Duffy said.

“Everybody contributes, everybody is part of the team, and everybody’s helping us succeed,” Anderson said.

Throughout the season, the girls also displayed qualities that helped the younger teammates feel what it is like to be a part of ‘the Pack’.

“We have a bunch of really strong leaders that are good kids, and that are showing some of the younger kids on the team what it means to be a Coyote and showing them that we’re part of a ‘Pack’… and they are doing that in such an encouraging way that the younger kids have really stepped up and become part of that,” Anderson said.

Although the players have passed their knowledge onto others, they also learned lessons of their own.

“It [ volleyball ] has taught me to become a leader. I used to be quiet and kind of scared to show what I know, but playing volleyball has taught me to not be afraid. If people need help, help them, don’t be scared,” Duffy said.

While the girls go through their own experiences, their relationships remain strong on and off the court.

“They [the team] are more like a family and I do everything with them so they really impact my life in a good way,” junior Skylar Wilson said.